Two years after the beginning of my MLTL speakers project with Jordan JX92, it has finally come to an end. I made some finishing touches but nothing significant. The speakers are now freshly painted, have new spikes and second pair of terminals are added for choice of connection schemes. The photos following show the finished speakers.
Unlike the assembly, I decided not to paint the boxes myself, because I am not good at this. For this purpose I trusted automobile painter, bought some good quality paint and waited for the result. Unfortunately it turned out that my choice of color looks different from the sample and the speakers were embarrassing to look at. On the second attempt things got better. With minimal notes on the paint job because of the lack of a special painting room that keeps dust away, the result is pleasing to the eye. I put adjustable metal spikes with black chrome color. The brand is Monacor, and the price affordable.
I added two more terminals on the back panel. With their help, various ways of connecting the speakers are possible. At first glance it looks like a typical configuration for bi-wiring, but the scheme is in fact different. Lower two terminals open the circuit between low-pass filter and positive terminal of the full range JX92. This is why they are bridged in the photo. The upper two terminals are input to filters. When connected like in the photo, the speakers work in two-way mode. If the connection to full range speaker is removed, the signal can be routed directly to it, and the tweeter remains disconnected. This way only the full range JX92 can be listened to without any filtering. Since the signal cable connectors allow daisy chaining, it is possible to connect tweeter together with non filtered JX92, thus reinforcing high frequencies without limiting full range driver. This last option probably will not sound good and was not part of the design, so it will not be used. Additionally I will try two resistor values in high frequency filter, as the high frequencies seem to me a bit weaker than necessary, but I do not trust the available equipment for measuring bandwidth close to 20kHz. When I finish with these attempts, the finished speakers will be finally assembled using threadlocker to avoid unwanted loosening by vibrations. I will also install insulation under all drivers to seal the boxes completely.
I put an end to this long project, and looking forward to ideas for the next adventure.